Sunday, August 15, 2010

LIFE OF GRANDPA AND GRANDMA PRYOR

This post will be a continuation of the last to bring more information in the life of my grand parents. Below is a list of all their children, their birth and death dates, marriages and children. Also pasted to these are obituaries of grandmother and my father.
My grandparents made their first home on land in what is now known as Terry's Gap, they owned 100's of acres of land here. My dad and his first wife also made their first home on a part of this land. I remember my dad saying some of this land sold for 50 cents an acre. It is mountain land but I can't imagine a price that low. My cousin in West Virginia is the only one of the family who still owns any of this original homeplace. She still owns 100 acres.
The 2nd home place was located in Fruitland and I remember this old house. I spent many hours in it as my cousin's wife used to look after us for my parents when they needed a babysitter. The old house had a shiny tin roof and I remember the loud sound of rain pounding on that roof. My cousin and his wife lived here until the old house burned down. They built a new brick house in the same spot and it is still there although now we are wondering what will happen to that house as my cousin's daughter passed away last year before she could retire back to the old house from Georgia. This is grandpa Pryor standing on the front porch of the old house in Fruitland.In the above right picture grandpa and grandmother are standing on this same porch with some of their children,my father is the smallest boy in the picture.
The above left picture is my uncle Homer doing what he did best ! (enjoying the ladies)
In the lower left is grandpa and grandma with my Aunt Hattie and more of their girls.
Lower left photo is my uncle Victor with the administrator of his estate in Oklahoma. He must have known he was dying long enough to hire an estate administrator. He had no wife or children of his own.This is a closer picture of these 2, my Uncle Victor on the left (without tie) looks just like my father. He was one of the twins but everyone said he and my father could have been identical twins. If you notice the date on the bottom of the photo is November 1950 which means he Uncle Victor was already dead when this photo was developed.In the bottom photo in this collage is Uncle Victor's house in Claremore, Ok. He was a lawyer and a judge out there while running a ranch directly across the river from the Will Roger's Place.Here is some of the cattle on his ranch. The ranch is now under the waters of Lake Oologah on the Verdigris River.
The reason I know so much about this uncle is because my dad spent quite a few years out in Oklahoma running the ranch while his brother worked.
I remember all the stories he used to tell about driving cattle and riding cutting horses.
I wish I knew information like this on all my aunts and uncles.In one of his last pictures grandpa is with one of my 2 still living first cousins and her first child.
He wrote articles to the local paper quite a lot and here is one he wrote very late in his life.
As he expired he left a legacy which was remembered in this community I still live in for years

No comments:

Post a Comment