Monday, July 26, 2010

DOUBLE FIRST COUSIN SCENARIO

On October 4,1858 a daughter was born to the Rev. William Job Wilkie and his wife Margaret Reid Wilkie. They named her Martha Louise and she became my grandmother.Don't know what year this picture was taken but this is my great grandmother and grandfather.
They had 2 girls my grandmother Martha Louise and her sister Mary Jane (who was affectionately called "aunt Sam").
As documented in this page of history these 2 sisters married 2 brothers. I have imagined several scenarios as to how this might have come about and the best I one is I think back in those days travel was limited and opportunities to meet a wife or husband where probably limited. Since the time between when my grandparents married to the time their brother and sister married was over 2 years I believe this was opportunity knocking!
It is another interesting fact that they both were the parents of twins. But the births of twins in either family before this is not known at this time.

13 children were gifted to my grandparents,although many were taken away at early ages.
My cousin remembers at some point asking my grandmother why she wasn't crying with everyone else and her reply was " I've cried my share and I'm just all dried out". I can't imagine what it would have been like back in those days, to helplessly have to watch your children die of untreatable diseases.
At 81 years old at the time of her death she outlived 8 of her 13 children. And grandfather living to the ripe old age of 97 outlived 10 of his 13 children.Here is grandfather Richard Martin and grandmother Martha Louise Pryor and after all of the pain her life must have brought her she has the first smile on her face of anyone in these old photos !!!
At this time I only know of the twin girls that Uncle William Franklin and Aunt Mary Jane had. I am fairly certain they had more children because I remember my dad speaking of several double first cousins.
As my grandparents settled in one part of Henderson county and my uncle and aunt settled in another part of the same county.
So over the years 2 segments of Pryor's were formed,known as the Fruitland Pryors and the Bat Cave Pryors.
More on the life of my grandparents next time.

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting. I think you are right about the shortage of marrying age people.

    My family came from the Carolinas and settled in Stone County (Ledfords).

    Now talk about being short of marrying material, my Great Uncle Crit and Aunt Lou were first cousins...that is almost unlawful!

    The way of the times...

    ReplyDelete